Ok- interesting for me and hopefully for you too.
1. Q: Did you know as of April 1 2021 the LHIN has a new name?
A: Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS) which was the LHIN and before that it was the CCAC (Community Care Access Centre). I am told there are no changes to the program.
2.Q: Did you know that it is possible for the LHIN or (HCCSS) to pay you to manage your own care?
A: Yes, in some circumstances they will cover the costs of you hiring your own PSW. The program is called Family-Managed Care.
3.Q: Do we have a Minister for Seniors?
A: Yes we do, but I have not seen any new initiatives from their offices.
Provincially: Raymond Cho
Federally: Deb Schulte
4. Q: What question am I asked the most frequently and to which I don’t have a good reply?
A: “I want to renovate my mother’s home so she has an accessible shower rather than a bath tub. What grants are available?” Sadly I am not aware of any provincial funding that is presently available. The Federal Budget has several tax credits and the latest is the Home-Accessibility Tax Credit.
5. Q: What is happening with the vaccine rollout for seniors?
A: The age brackets receiving vaccination differ a bit from region to region. Listed below is eligibility criteria.
- Toronto: Bookings can be made on this website. Starting tomorrow at 8:00 a.m., anyone 60 years of age or older can book a vaccine appointment. The age requirement is lower at some sites depending on other factors that are listed when you try to book an appointment.
- York: You can book on this website. York Region is vaccinating those 65 years of age and older.
- Peel: Bookings can be made on this website. Peel Region is booking appointments for those 70 years of age and older.
- Durham:You can make a booking on this website. Durham Region is currently vaccinating those 70 years of age and older.
- Halton:You can book an appointment on this website. Halton Region is vaccinating those 65 years of age and older.
Home bound seniors should be getting their vaccines very soon.
6. Q: Did you know that many retirement residents and those who live in Long Term care and who have been vaccinated are still not allowed to leave the building’s premises?
A: If asked I can only imagine that many seniors would say:”I have been vaccinated and I want to see my family so let me sign a waiver and get out of here!”
When the cure is worse than the disease, we have an even bigger problem….