Still in isolation, still feeling random…
1. There’s no way that this post is going to be as good as my first one
2. One day holograph wills are going to be replaced by hologram wills
3. Once we’re all back in the office, it’s going to feel like the first day of school after summer break. Wow! You guys got tall!
4. Why don’t trusts have more creative names? Suggestions include:
- The Brain Trust
- In God We Trust (religious charitable trust)
- The Miss Trust (for premarital planning)
- More or Less Trust
- The Lack of Trust
- The WanderTrust (for travelers)
- My Shopaholic Kids Don’t Have My Trust (spendthrift trust)
Fun right? Much less important reasons to do this include maintaining privacy and making it more difficult for creditors to trace beneficiaries using the family name
5. When drafting their wills, I’m surprised testators don’t insult their family members more often. Are lawyers telling them not to? Estate Planning should be a cathartic process, no? Explain the risks and get your clients to indemnify you. Consider the inevitable court proceedings to be a family reunion.
6. Speaking of profanities, who else wants Samuel L. Jackson to narrate the eventual COVID-19 documentary?
7. In comedian Jack Benny’s will, he arranged for a single long-stem rose to be delivered to his wife every day for the rest of her life. Why are you still mad at your significant other for finishing off your Cheetos?
8. Don’t online grocery shop when you’re hungry. You won’t actually want that much cheese in 2 weeks when you pick it up. And the store will probably make a substitution for spray cheese in a can. Blame Carole Baskin.
9. Let’s play…..SUPERMARKET SUBSTITUTIONS
What do you do when the supermarket runs out of what you want?
a) Fresh pasta –> dry pasta –> Mr. Noodles
b) Ground beef –> Frozen lasagna –> Chef Boyardee
c) Carrots –> baby carrots –> frozen carrots –> chocolate cake
d) Your favourite bottle of wine –> boxed wine –> wine in a bag –> get creative with grape juice
and yeast –> use this isolation time to reflect on your life choices
Hang in there everyone!